Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Big update (not waiting til 17 months)

Big News Part 1


My lovely friend in Denmark, Ted Ewen, nominated me for this award! Nominations closed yesterday. This article appeared in the Logan West leader and the Albert and Logan News on June 27th.

Note it was the Brisbane surgeons who were unwilling to operate, and although benign, it was life-threatening. A benign tumor is basically a tumor that doesn't spread to other parts of the body. A tumor is a mass of tissue that serves no useful purpose and generally exists at the expense of healthy tissues. Examples of this include tumors which produce a "mass effect" (compression of vital organs such as blood vessels)

Colloid cysts, while uncommon, are important to identify correctly because of their association with sudden death. They are relatively rare and account for less than 1% of all brain tumors in adults. Because of its location, it can cause obstructive hydrocephalus and increased intracranial pressure. Mine was causing intermittent hydrocephalus and gradually pushing one half of my brain around. This caused seizures aside from constant extreme pain and nausea. 

Lesson for the day Benign does not mean not life threatening!




Big news Part 2


Yesterday I became a student again!

Monday July 9 I start my Dual certification in Business and Business Admin. I am really quite looking forward to it. Today I had an meeting with Student disability services as I have an ABI and  epilepsy to talk to them about my course and what I may or may not need help with. I have to say I was not greatly impressed with the meeting. However I have a stubborn streak a mile wide so I am even more determined that I ever was to not only get through this course but to do it with as little assistance as possible! My stubborn-fu is strong. 

Meanwhile I have gotten my hands on a year 10 mathematics book to try and reteach myself some of the things that went missing after surgery. I have a few other books coming in the mail as well. 


Life is a huge new adventure for me in SO many ways! I am choosing to enjoy it as much as I can and make the most of every part I can get my hands on. Life is far too short to worry about the what if's. Get out, do the things that inspire you and make your heart soar. (as long as you aren't hurting anyone else) Try something new or something you always wanted to try but didn't have the time, energy, confidence (whatever excuse you came up with) to do it. At worst you wont like it but at least you've given it a go, who knows you may like it and you may just be brilliant at it if you give yourself half a chance.

Be your own advocate! No one can live your life expect for you. You'll do a beautiful job of it!






1 comment:

Kim said...

I am there for you backing you all the way! You go girl!

Post a Comment