Monday, January 26, 2015

Similartities

I have just put two and two together and figured out the last time I felt like this and what was going on.

When I got home from having brain surgery, I felt like I could do anything. I felt like I could take on the world and that I could actually 'do' things. Then I would get up and try doing anything and be exhausted to the point of having to nap.

Having atypical/walking pneumonia is a lot like that. I make plans while I am asleep for the things I will do the next day. I get up and start to do them and run out of breath. I feel a bit like a fraud. 

It wasn't until some time after having brain surgery, talking to a family friend who is and ex army nurse, she explained a lot of the problem with short hospital stays from serious surgeries is that subconsciously we think 'oh it can't be that bad, I am home after 23 hours in hospital' not realizing of course that not so long ago and still in some cases, brain surgery patients would have been kept in hospital for up to and including 3 months for recovery.

The thing I have to keep reminding myself is that I landed in the hospital with some pretty serious vital signs while feeling 'better' than the day before and a bit out of breath. The paramedics were telling me that there are a lot of people who will turn up at emergency for a sore toe, and then there are 'troopers' like me who don't think they are ill enough to go to emergency. I have had my bum kicked by them and been told 'if you are having trouble breathing go straight to emergency, do not pass go' 

In this case I cannot trust what my brain is trying to tell me while I am resting. My body gives me a reminded that I am ill if I get excited about 'doing'. I guess I will have to behave myself until I get an all clear from the doctor rather than from myself this time.

In the interests of not winding up back in hospital and behaving myself, back to resting for me. I hope you are all well!


No comments:

Post a Comment